Welcome to the future of newspaper classified advertising. This website is designed to open up a discussion about how the newspaper industry can resurrect its sagging classifieds sector.
There are several components to this site and our overall initiative:
- News, analysis, and advice on classifieds from new-media expert Steve Outing, editor of ReinventingClassifieds.com, and classifieds authority Christopher Ryan of FutureofNews.com. Watch for their reports on the main blog on the site’s homepage.
- Guest bloggers. We’ll invite top classifieds and new-media innovators to share their ideas for moving the industry forward.
- Case studies. Site editors will examine success stories (and some failures), and sometimes our guest experts will present case studies.
- Surveys. Using technology from our friends at SurveyGizmo, we’ll survey the classifieds community of various topics from time to time.
- White papers. Watch for both free and premium white papers from us in the months ahead.
- Related products and services. As we gather and process the ideas, suggestions, and feedback on this site, both Future of News and ReinventingClassifieds.com will be producing products and services designed to help newspapers recover some of their lost classifieds revenues.
About Steve Outing
Steve is a long-time journalist and online news pioneer, who since the early days of the Internet boom has been assisting and advising news and media companies in transitioning their businesses to the new-media environment. He is the author of numerous research reports, book projects, articles, and research in the new-media space, including research reports and coverage of the classifieds sector. He is a columnist for Editor & Publisher Online (since 1995), and former senior editor of the Poynter Institute for Media Studies. Steve also is a new-media entrepreneur, having founded the Enthusiast Group and techGRL.com. Contact him at email@example.com.
About Christopher Ryan
Christopher is president and founder of Future of News, an Internet and print development firm that specializes in custom programming for media companies. A 10-year veteran reporter and college journalism instructor, he is a new-media visionary and classifieds expert with a passion for the newspaper industry, and believes that newspaper classifieds revenue growth can be resurrected through reinvention of the business model.